Everyone knows search engines (especially Google) are very important to run a blog, but we struggle to find out how to attract these search engines. In my experience, if you are stepping in to blogging as a newbie then Google is your friend. You have to heavily depend on Google to get traffic to your new blog. I’m going to discuss a basic idea on how to target search engines in your new blog post.
Ultimately, we target visitors through search engines, so we have to think in visitors’ point of view. Now, just think how your users will reach your next post through Google. Though I’m a blogger, but I use Google very much in my day to day life. My most of the searches on ‘how to fix things’ or ‘how to do something’. Most of the time I will have my answer with in the first or second page. I rarely go to third or fourth pages of search results.
So here is the thing, your next post should be something really worth people are looking for and can be positioned in first or second page in search result.
According to my knowledge, I can categorize two types of search a user can do,
1) Question type ( Looking for some methods or solutions on particular issue, task or process..something like this)
2) Product type ( Looking for information about a product, name, brand or..anything to particular word)
Let me explain this with real word example ( I hope my wife will not read this 😉 ). My wife’s most of the searches on internet is about cooking (because she wants to make something new and test on me …ha ha). So, lets say today she wants to make ‘beef sizzler’ and decided to use Google as helper.
Now, can you guess how she will type her question to Google where she expects proper and clear how-to guide?. it can be “how to make beef sizzler” or “beef sizzler recipe”. I think most of the time she will be using “how to” word. This type of search is falling in my first category ‘Question type’.
Now she got a nice guide on making beef sizzler, but she saw a new product called ‘Mamacita soy sauce’ which is new to her. So, her next search is to know about new sauce. She will be typing only ‘Mamacita soy sauce’ and expecting the product information about it. This search type is the second type I mentioned ‘Product type’.
Above is the simple scenario of most of searches around the world, now ask your self how you are going to target search engines for next post? how your blog post is going to respond to visitors’ search query and in which category?
Where Most of Us Fail?
Recently one of my reader asked to check his blog and the latest post in his blog is ‘Wordpress 3.1.4 released’ (this was before 3.2 release). Sadly most of his blog posts are very similar like this informing some news. But, I did not understand the purpose of these type of posts.
Do you think,
1) This will receive any search queries about ‘Wordpress 3.1.4’?. I don’t think so, because there are top blogs to cover this topic including official wordpress blog. More than these all, no one will be searching this particular word. So, according to me, it’s a useless post which will make negative impact on your blog from Google’s point of view.
2) Is it a big news for regular or subscribed users?. It could be a big news if you have more than thousands of direct, daily and subscribed visitors. But, I didn’t see that much activity around that blog. Also, this news is only for bloggers and webmasters, not to your normal visitors. Bloggers will get this update notification once they log in to wordpress dashboard. So, its not very excited news.
3) Will this at least attract search engines robots? I don’t think so. Either you should have published this post as first one in internet and notified Google or simply should have avoided this post. Google is going to treat this post as ‘duplicating’ or ‘not value’ content because the topic would have been covered in most of the blogs/websites already.
So, what this blogger could have done in smart way?. Write a post about ‘how to upgrade wordpress 3.1.4 in Hostgator shared hosting’, or ‘How to backup a blog before update to WordPress 3.1.4’. This could be a better post to drive traffic to the blog with latest release of WordPress 3.1.4.
Please do not write news or re-publish any others’ posts in your blog.…..
Recommended Readings for your
Suggestion from Google can be a good source to target search engines in your next post. For example if you like to write about wordpress 3.2, then check the Google suggestion, it shows as below in my current country.
You can take any of the above word combination as your main keyword and write a post. Do not take the main product word as a keyword since it will have tough competition.
I’m sure this post would have given some ideas to select the topic for next blog post which can drive some traffic to your blog. Blogging and making money from blog is very easy, but that can be done in hard way. Do not write what you wanted or know to write, rather write what people are searching now or will be searching in future. To be successful in blogging, you need to learn so many things extra, but do not worry, just do it. It will pay you back nicely.
The content I have written in my tech blog is not exactly 100% related to my working environment or life style, but I downloaded so many products, tested at home and wrote the solutions as articles to get more visitors. It worked very well and still driving good traffic, that’s the key in blogging.
Good luck guys, any comments and questions?