Happy New Year to everyone, I hope still you are celebrating the new year 🙂 and Best wishes for your new goals. In this post I will be sharing my blogging achievements and learned lessons in 2011, also my new goals in 2012. I’m not exaggerating or proclaiming anything, but this post could be a real example how blogging can work for a part time blogger.
2011 was an excellent month for me, I feel happy and proud by several achievements done as single person. It would have been much better if I concentrated further more in 2011.
I expect you to draft a blogging plan and goals for the new year 2012 with time line. You must treat your blog or website as a business. I did set up goals for 2011 back in 2010 and I managed to achieve 80% of them. That is the main reason for my below achievements.
1) Daily Pageviews Approx 7,500 to 20,000. (Tech Blog – Sysprobs)
Around 300% increase was a great achievement for me. When I reached 10,000PVs daily on March 2011 (Check my previous post), I said I’m targeting to double the figure by end of this year. I almost reached that target by October 2011. Though traffic slightly dropped from that point, still December 2011 is not bad for me.
Financially 2011 was a better year for me by blogging income. Believe me!, I did not borrow money from others this year, which I had to do every previous years to face some unexpected or extra expenses in my life. I had tough and pain full years before 2011 and that pain was the main reason to start and stay on blogging.
OK, I have not become rich or millionaire yet (One day I will be), but the blogging changed my life. Thanks to all money making programs especially Google adsense, Contextweb CPM, Google Affiliate network, Amazon Associate, Infolinks, Technorati media CPM and Pixazza (Luminate now)
I have made around $17,578 this year which is almost increased by 380% compared to 2010 ( I started seriously from March 2010 only).
3) Technical Changes
I feel its worth to list out here. Two major changes happened,
a) Migrated both blogs completely to VPS from Shared Hosting.
b) Changed the both blogs to Genesis framework theme.
I did these two major changes at first time in my life and most importantly without any downtime or losing the traffic.
4) Escaped From Google Panda
From February 2011 everyone started to hear and feel the Google Panda affect- the major algorithm change from Google. Luckily my blogs are not affected by that. I’m really happy about it compared to other blogs which got effected. I have not done anything specifically to prevent this, but the current SEO, quality and unique articles helped me a lot.
Learned Lessons in 2011
Last year I published a guest post on ShoutMeLoud about the lessons learned in 2010. Here are the major lessons in 2011
1) Update the Blog Regularly
This is one of the reasons for the slight drop in traffic. After reaching a specific figure (money for traffic), I lost the interest on publishing new articles (how I was doing initially). I need to change that habit.
2) Write for future dates and schedule them
When I felt sick by Chickenpox, I experienced it. It’s always better to write and keep ready posts for coming week. Scheduling them in WordPress dashboard will be even better.
3) Still there are people to read your blog
No matter how many popular blogs available on the topic you are thinking to start, but still you can stand out the crowed and get some traffic.
4) Your Favorite money making program will not work always better in same range.
Be ready for some drops. I think it is better to depend on more than two money making programs as main income source.
5) Do not promise if you can’t keep.
I struggled this by giving promises and dead lines for few of my clients. Even I failed in my self blogging tasks too.
6) Niche blogging (or posts ) can make good money.
The posts I published with targeted affiliate products made good money with very less traffic, but the articles received good traffic did not convert well with PPC or CPM programs.
7) Limitations as Part time blogger
After a certain level, you can’t increase or make money from blogging if you are a part time blogger.
8.) Failed Guest Blogging
You will not get guest bloggers to your blog if you are not active on other blogs and forums.
9) Still few bad people out there
Still some people can get jealous, leave negative comments and send bad emails about your growth on blogging.
10) Do not start new blogs or websites if you really can’t.
I registered three new websites this year, but nothing is up yet. Its simply waste of money and time I spent on them.
My Blogging Goals in 2012
1) Triple the current blog income by end of 2012.
2) Triple the current traffic of tech blog Sysprobs by end of 2012.
3) Start ‘n’ number of niche blogs/website to monetize with Adsense and Amazon.
4) Concentrate on Affiliate business. Promote products by giving some kind of free services.
5) Be active of social networking sites and drive traffic from them.
6) Few technical changes in blog, like theme customizations, move to dedicated server (if required), implement proper CDN services, blog security and blog speed improvements.
7) Respond to emails and comments as soon as quickly. I’m extremely sorry for not responding to your emails and comments in 2011, I was bad at it. May be I will go for a mobile connectivity device which enables quick access to emails, comments and chat with my clients.
8.) Build a solid foundation to become a full time blogger/online entrepreneur.
9) Optimize and concentrate on email lists on both blogs.
10) Join Traibalfusin CPM network.
Thanks everyone to stay with me on 2011, I’m expecting your support and contribution on 2012 too.
Please share your lessons, 2012 goals and new plans. That would be interested to read and give some suggestions.
Happy New Year again 🙂