I’m sharing a on page search engine optimization checklist here with you in this article. I normally give more importance to search engine traffic than any other sources in my blogs, because its an easy, automated and stable traffic without spending extra time and effort.
This post includes few search engines optimization factors you must consider before pressing publish button. I assume you already did basic SEO settings in your blog, such as permalink structure, SEO plugin installation, XML sitemap plugins and submitted the sitemap to search engines.
Once you select the keyword to target in specific page or article then make sure its placed properly in specific areas which will hint the search engines that your post is about the specific word. Always better to select low competition but high search volume keywords (its difficult to find out) to write an article. If your blog is new, then I recommend to write high quality articles with proper keyword (after research) at least two to four per weeks.
I use keyword winner plugin for this purpose. This plugin give the complete picture (with more suggestions and ideas) of the specific word you type in. You can get the keyword winner from my following affiliate link.
Here is the On Page Search Engine Optimization Checklist
Select a keyword for the post or page. (For example ‘windows 8 dvd’.)
Make sure your post or page is meeting the following requirements.
1) Should be included in permalink in post/page
2) Should be included in your SEO plugin or built-in SEO options in premium themes’ post title within 60 characters. Try to have 60 to 80 characters in a post title. If the title is having less characters, then Google will report this under Webmaster tools – which means they don’t like short titles.
3) Should be included in SEO plugin or built-in SEO options in premium themes’ meta description. If you will be using two sentences here, make sure your keyword is listed in first sentence before first ‘full stop’. Always better to have more than 160 characters in meta description, otherwise you could see ‘short meta description’ warning inside Google webmaster tools.
The meta description is very important for on page SEO. Most of the time Google displays this description in search results, so it should tell the summary or content of your article to visitors, this will make the visitors to click your blog URL.
Here is the example.
4) Main keyword should be listed as first keyword in keywords filed in SEO option. You could add multiple keywords here, but make sure main keyword listed in first place.
Here is the example of point 2,3 and 4.
5) Include the main keyword in first paragraph of your post/page.
6) Include in H1, if you are using H2,H3 and bullet points then you can add there too. Search engines robots give more attention in these places.
7) Main keyword should be included in Alternate text of one the picture in post/page.
8.) Make sure you are linking an internal page and external blog page with main keyword included.
This will improve the linking structure. All search engines robots like incoming and outgoing links. If you have only incoming links to your blog from external domain, but not linking out to outside domains then it will make bad impact on your blog. Feel free to link out specially with the keyword you are targeting.
9) Always write a post with more than 500 words. You could include the main keywords at least 3 to 5 times in your articles (if its 500 words article). Some people say to include in last paragraph too.
IMPORTANT NOTE – If you are adding the keyword in all the places I said here, then you might need to write article with more than 700 words. You will find more keywords in the source code of your page than what you see in normal page. Though, there is not specific density percentage of keyword, but most recommended is between 3% to 7%.
Do not stuff too much and caught by Google!!!
10) If you are publishing a short article like some kind of announcements/news/competition/communication with your readers without targeting any keywords or have no SEO value, then better select ‘noindex, nofollow’ or ‘noindex, dofollow’.
This will stop search engine robots to index the low quality posts and pages in your blog. Its always better practice to ‘noindex’ these type of pages.
After the recent Google panda update, most of the bloggers deleted or selected ‘noindex’ of these type of low quality short articles to regain their position in search traffic. Therefor, keep this always in your mind.
On Page SEO Check List – Download PDF File
I have created a PDF file with this check list which you can download and keep in your blogging place. Before publishing a post or page, check this on page search engine optimization check list.
Let me know your thoughts and experience on this. Am I missing something here?