Whenever I publish my monthly income reports, I do get a few emails from my readers asking about money-making tips. Even sometimes they ask to check and review their blogs to increase earnings. I observe the same mistakes on their blogs which I did earlier when I was new to blogging. The major mistake we all do is ‘expecting money so quickly, without having something valuable on a blog or website’. Remember one thing, no one is going to give money without taking something valuable from your blog.
Let me put my last 10+ years of experience in blogging and suggest the ways to make money by blogging from Sri Lanka, or any Asian countries and even anywhere from the world.
The beauty of blogging is limitless. There is no boundary in blogging or making money from it. You can sit from your house in Sri Lanka and earn income. Just to make it straight the ‘money’ we are talking about is reliable and genuine. There are few ways to make money quickly which may fall as a scam. But this guide will show you how to make genuine money from reliable sources that can work as passive income.
Quick Steps to Make money by Blogging From Sri Lanka
- Find a topic you are passionate about. Then topic you can write for the next 2 to 3 years with the interest. Remember, this topic should be demand around the world also.
- Get a domain name, host the website.
- Start writing and keep writing, do not look back.
- Join the money-making programs. Sri Lankans can join most of the money-making programs around the world As long as you join the genuine program, they will send your payment on time.
- Promote your blog and get visitors. The more visitors you get the more money you earn.
- Look for other ways to make money online by your blog.
Though the steps look simple, they take time. The success and failure in blogging decided by the ‘Patience’. If your topic is great and you are doing good and following all rules, your blog will rock one day.
Finding the Topic to Make Money Online
Try to interconnect the blog topic with your life, profession, education or passion. Because of someone making money on a specific topic, do not start the same topic if you don’t know what it is. If you are an IT guy, think in that direction, do not start cooking recipe blog.
If you have confidence in your self and topic, then do not hesitate to start. Do not bother much about the competition. You will find many gaps once you started.
Here are the few articles you must read about selecting the topic.
While selecting the topic, start with the narrow topic. For example, do not start a blog on the topic ‘Technology’, it is a vast field and many topics to cover. If you are a tech person, narrow it down and find the final product or topic you could start. By narrowing down, you could possibly land on ‘Android’ as your main topic. But, still, it can be devived to make it simple.
Android Apps, Games, App tricks, Games Hacks, Android downloads, Android Phones…..etc.
If you are interested, you could select ‘Android Games Hacks’ as the main topic to start. It is a demanding field, and it is not going to end soon. You will get many games and hacks in the coming years that will feed your content plan for your new blog. If you have noticed, we have narrowed down the major ‘Technology’ to minor ‘Android Games Hacks’ topic.
This is just an example When you start a new blog start with the small topic and stay with it. Write only about it. Single niche selection is the best option to start and test the blogging experience.
Once it started growing, either expand the same blog for other next levels of higher topics or start another blog with all experience you have to target a higher level of topic in your field.
Once you decide the topics, next is to select the domain name and host the website.
Register Domain Name and Host the Blog
Keep the domain name simple and meaningful. By seeing the domain name someone should tell the topic of your blog. Do not start a tech blog on your personal name. It may look fun at the beginning, but once you grow, these irrelevant domain names may look ugly.
Remember, domain names can’t be changed later. Once you have gone live, you need to stick to it. Though there are several long ways to change the domain name, as beginner, it is not recommended.
I highly recommend reading below posts about selecting the domain name for your new blog from Sri Lanka, or other Asian countries and around the world.
Write and Market the Content
This is the main part. This what we are going to sell on our website. Selling the content indirectly. Yes, we do not ask for money from anyone to read our content, but remember the content you write to bring the money.
If you are staring at the bakery as a physical business, the bread, cake, and whatever you sell are like the content of a blog.
The content you write should attract two kinds of people:
- The real people (human). Try to target global users.
- The search engines. Google, Bing, and yahoo should love your content. It can be done by Search Engine Optimization (SEO). But without the great content, the SEO becomes invalid.
How to Write the Good Content
- The topic/niche selection is important and hope you have selected something which you are interested in, an expert in it and also there is demand on the Internet.
- Write original and useful content. Always keep in mind that your content should be useful for someone and it should solve someone’s problem.
- Keep a content calendar plan. Write and publish consistently.
- Interconnect your content.
- See what users are reading on your blog and keep writing about or on that path.
What/Where is the Problem?
Before go further, let me tell what is ‘Blog’ in my opinion. A ‘Blog’ is a place where you write your opinions, lessons, experience, interests, findings, guides, how to’s, articles..etc, altogether it is completely ‘Your Posts’. You are unique in this world (correct?), so your posts should be unique for global readers and search engines..
Nowadays everyone starts blog, publishes few posts and expects money. They think making money online is very easy, but that’s not the case now. Let’s forget money, even finding a unique topic and driving traffic to a blog is the difficult job now.
I’m not discouraging any new bloggers here but you should understand the challenges to meet them. There are plenty of part time and full time bloggers who make money online very well.
You must work hard,smart and do something differently to become a successful blogger. Always keep some long term plans in your mind and work towards it.
Do not look for short term achievements. Also, do not discourage your self by traffic and earning stats initially. You can’t expect your ‘baby’ blog to run faster as ‘5 years boy’, it needs time.
Writing about anything comes to your mind will not bring much income. You have to analyze what people are searching, latest topics or missing topics and write about it. Sometimes you will not have idea on the demanded topic you found, but be ready to experiment and learn that to write in your blog.
When you need a steady income from your blog then definitely you need to invest time, energy and money too.
Traffic is the money
That’s the golden rule, if you need more money then you need more traffic to your blog. I divide traffic in two types,
1) Organic Traffic (from any search engines like Google, yahoo, Bing)
2) Other Traffic ( Regular, Direct, social networking, referrals and other)
The above both traffic types increase your blog’s page views and visits rate, but not all effecting your earnings.
Each traffic source influences every monetizing method in a blog. For example, organic traffic works well for PPC (Pay per click ads like Google adsense) and some times to affiliate sales too, at the same time your regular visitors do not click any PPC ads, but they will be interested in buying the products you recommend and review, so it can increase the affiliate or own product sale.
So, What’s the Catch and How to Really Make Money online from Blogs?
Whatever method you select, making money from new blog will take some time. You need to be patient and active for at least first six months to build up a blog with great content which drives good traffic.
If only PPC (Pay Per Click) programs will be your money making source, then mainly concentrate on Search engine traffic.
If you are going to make money by PPC, Affiliate sales and your own products, then concentrate in following traffic sources,
1) Search Engines traffic
2) Regular readers – Subscribers, direct and returned visitors.
3) Social networking sites – Facebook fans, Twitter followers and anything similar to this.
4) Subscribers mail list – Capture the email address of visitors and create a mail list
5) PPV (Pay Per Visits), Adwords and any advertisement sources.
In a nutshell to really make money from blog,
1) Select a topic and write about it.
2) Decide on how you are going make money and select the money making programs.
3) Identify the required traffic sources to make money with selected programs.
4) Get more and more traffic (visitors) to your blog via decided traffic source.
5) Now make money!!!.
6) Need more money? Increase the traffic again and look for new money making opportunities.
I hope this article gives some basic ideas and plans on how to really make money online from blog. These are just basic rules you have to follow to make a stable traffic and income to your blog.